Shoulder and neck pains after a tiresome day, who wants that? Unlike other body pains that can be easily relieved by a painkiller, neck and shoulder pains often persist and in severe cases may even last for several days. Most of the times sleeping through these pains doesn’t work either. Our rigorous work schedule that keep us glued to our seats for more than 40 hours a week ensures that these pains keep reoccurring.
With that said, instead of just postponing the problems and wishing they would go away, you could try something new by checking out this list we’ve made for the best neck and shoulder massagers that can relieve those uncomfortable pains and tensions.
We’ve made it our obligation to keep you updated on all the best tips that will make your life comfortable and relaxed.
What to consider before buying
There are several factors to consider when selecting a neck and shoulder massager.
- Portability: You should be able to carry it to whichever location you deem fit. The good thing is that most of them are portable.
- Efficiency: It should be able to relieve you of the pains. There are massagers that do not fit well or others tend to produce too much heat that may lead to burns. Make sure that the massager meets the quality standards or is approved by a chiropractor.
- Convenience: How do you want to operate with it. Do you want to carry it to wherever you go? Then, you should select from the cordless versions. However, if you want it at home, then a cord massager is not a bad choice, considering they are a bit cheap.
- Cost: Understand that cheap is expensive. Do not fret too much about the cost, and go about looking for cheaper alternatives. Avoid worrying about monetary value when it comes to quality, especially if it involves your own health and wellbeing.
That being said, the most important thing is to find a massager that works for you and invest in it. Look at it this way: a massage therapy from a reputable organization may cost several hundred dollars per session. Having several sessions per month can eat a considerable chunk from your wallet.
Here are our best picks for neck and shoulder massagers.
1. Brookstone Cordless Shiatsu Neck and Back Massager with Heat
Now, if there is a massager that we would definitely recommend is this Brookstone model. The fact that it is cordless means that it can be carried anywhere. It has a rechargeable lithium ion battery that lasts for at least an hour, which is just about the right time to keep you feeling fresh and rejuvenated.
It uses Japanese Shiatsu massaging technique that involves kneading pressure and circular motions to relieve muscle tension and discomfort. It has 8 revolving nodes perfectly positioned to reach all the curves and angles of your neck and upper shoulders.
It can also be positioned anywhere in the back making it one of the best digitalized masseurs. It has two massaging modes that you can select on the control panel, single direction and auto-reverse. It also has an optional heat function for added massaging experience. As a security measure, it has an auto timer that turns the massager off after approximately 20 minutes.
- Has 8 kneading nodes
- 2 massage modes (single direction & auto-reverse)
- Adjustable heat function
- Has a automatic security measure (turns of after 20 minutes)
- Has an adjustable height which makes it great for targeting specific spots
- Some people find it to be intense
- Even though the heat is adjustable it doesn’t get too warm
2. Neckteck Deep Kneading Massage Pillow
The Neckteck massager works in similar fashion as the Brookstone Cordless massager with the same 8 kneading nodes and the Shiatsu massaging technique. It comes with a 6 foot long AC adapter and a free car adapter, which means it can be used anywhere so long as there is power supply. It has a built-in functionality that prevent over-heating; incidences of skin burns are therefore nonexistent.
Another precautionary measure is that it has an auto-shutting mechanism that turns off the massager after 10 minutes. So, you do not have to worry about snoozing off after a soothing massage session.
The revolving nodes switch direction after every minute to make the massaging process, as entertaining as possible. Thanks to its flexible and versatile design, it can be used on other parts of the body, such as lower back, upper back and on feet.
- Overheating is avoided through built-in function
- Turns off automatically after 10 minutes
- Multidirectional nodes
- Has a long AC adapter cord + free car adapter
- Flexible design
- It isn’t cordless and needs to be plugged in to function
- Some report pains when using for too long
3. Five Star FS8801 Shiatsu Neck and Back Massager
As its name suggests, the FS8801 guarantees a five star neck and back massage experience. It is especially effective when you need deep and rough massages. With three selectable speeds and dual massage directions, the 8 kneading nodes will work your muscles like a professional masseur. It has a heating function that can be put on or off by just a tap of a button.
Furthermore, there is an auto-off function that kicks into gear after 15 minutes. With this massager, you can massage other parts of your body as well, such as arms, legs, feet and back.
The only weakness of this massager is that it can only work if it is plugged into a power supply. The good thing is that the AC adapter cord is 10 feet long, which means you do not need to be near the socket to enjoy its services.
- Three selectable speeds
- Two massage directions
- Has a good heating function
- Shuts down after 15 minutes
- The cord is long (10 feet)
- Has a car adapter
- Can be used for different parts of the body
- Three year warranty
- Needs to be plugged in to work
- Some reviews say that it isn’t safe when using with bare skin
- Shouldn’t be used for too long (45+ minutes)
4. Naturalico Shiatsu Massager
Weighing at slightly more than 4lbs, the Naturalico is lightweight and therefore very convenient in terms of handling and mobility. It has only four nodes, but that does not mean it is less effective than the other massagers with 8 nodes.
Made from high quality fibre, it is durable and the flexible design ensures that it can be easily attached to any part of the body. It can therefore be used to release tension on the shoulder, neck, back, feet and thighs.
The optional heat feature improves the massaging session and also warms and relaxes muscles and improves blood movement. It comes with an AC adapter and a car adapter and has an auto-shutoff feature for safety measures.
- Lightweight and intuitive
- Four kneading nodes
- Good heating function
- Automatically shuts off
- Three speed rotation levels
- Comes with an AC adapter and for cars
- The cord is rather short
- It’s a bit bulky
- Needs to be plugged in
5. Naipo Shiatsu Massager with Heat
Rounding up our list of the best neck and shoulder massagers is the Naipo Shiatsu. It boasts of 8 kneading nodes that move in a 3D format. Other top level features include: soothing heat function with an overheat protection feature, 3 levels of massaging speed (low, medium and high) and two massage directions, clockwise and counter–clockwise. It also has an auto-shutoff function that turns off the massager after 20 minutes.
Its PU leather design is both durable and easy to clean, while its mesh fabric protects your skin from direct contact with the nodes. Included in the packaging is a wall adapter, car adapter and a mesh protector apparel, which keeps dust away from the massager.
Like all the other massagers in this list, it can be used to massage various body parts including neck, shoulders, arms, feet and back.
- Two massage directions
- 3 levels of massage speed
- Security feature auto shuts off after 20 minutes
- Durable material
- Has to be plugged in
There you have it, our select list of massagers for the neck and shoulders, sometimes even usable on other parts of the body. Hopefully you’ll find a massager that can relieve you of any aches, tensions and pains that you may be having. If that is the case, we consider our mission a success.