Sofa beds are dynamic furnishings that allow you to both customize the look and feel of any room while also giving yourself and guests places to lounge, sleep, and relax. Being comfortable is the most important thing you can gift yourself when choosing furniture for everyday use in your home.
There are dozens of sofa or sleeper beds to choose from these days, from a pull-out couch with a memory foam mattress, to a fold out futon, to an affordable L shape couch for home offices. What do you need your sofa bed to do? What do you need a convertible couch for?
Size, style, build and features are dependent on your needs and specifications, here are some tips to help you make a smarter choice.
- Size: Affordable sofa beds come in all kinds of shapes and sizes, for large living rooms, to college dorms, for small spaces, and for beach houses. Make sure your measurements are on point, you don’t want to end up ordering a sofa bed online only to see it not fit in the designated room.
- Style: As for the style of the sofa bed, the outer material is usually leather, velvet or fabric, but the couch cushions and sofa bed mattress vary in comfort and plushness. If you don’t like the mattress that a pull-out couch comes with, you can always invest in a more comfortable mattress topper to better accommodate your needs.
- Build: The build quality and the material used to make the frame is important to consider. The wood should be solid and durable, softer wood types like pine or red cedar can be more prone to breaking down in the long run.
- Features and use: The best sofa beds are multi-purpose. They allow you to lounge, watch a movie, read a book, and simply zen out for a few hours on lazy weekends or when you get home from work. These same sofa beds are perfect for hosting guests, like when family or friends visit for the holidays. Some can even be used for permanent use as a single sofa bed for a tiny house or small apartment.
Novogratz Brittany Sofa Futon
This sofa bed is the epitome of stylish and modern with availability in your choice of ten beautiful colors, like navy blue, rustic orange, and dark gray. The original futon sleeps two people, but you also have the options of a pull-out accent chair for one person, a twin sleeper sofa bed for three, or a queen sleeper sofa bed for four.
The frame is durable wood, while the cushions are foam-filled and overstuffed for comfort.
- Available as a pull-out accent chair, futon, twin sleeper sofa, and queen sleeper sofa
- Option of an ottoman
- Overstuffed cushions and polyester fabric
- 600-pound weight capacity
- Straight-back sitting position in couch mode
- Firm pull-out sofa mattress
- Requires extensive assembly
Scarlet Full Tufted Back Convertible Sofa
Overstuffed and extremely comfortable, this sleeper sofa is perfect for everything from sitting to talk, lounging to watch a movie or read, or sleeping. It accommodates two people and can be easily transported from one room to another.
The downside? The cushions are overstuffed and the S-springs offer minimal back support for people with lumbar issues.
- Easily removable, washable sofa cover
- Tufted, overstuffed cushions for comfort
- Three reclining positions
- Easy to transport
- Only available as a full-size sleeper sofa
- S-springs offer mediocre back support
Serta Rane Collection Convertible Sofa
Easily assembled, easy to move, and upholstered in soft polyester fabric for optimum comfort. The cushions are Serta brand and stuffed with foam for back support and pain relief.
- Modern design matches modern home décor
- Perfect for dorm rooms and studio apartments
- Reclines with lounger mode
- Easy to assemble
- Unsupportive for 200 pounds and above
- Not built for people above 6-feet tall
Yaheetech Convertible Sofa Bed with Armrest
It’s a convertible futon with armrests and an entertainment design! It’s designed for optimum comfort while you read, watch movies, talk with friends or family, or just lounge around and relax.
The two cup holders are built-in and sturdy, while the frame itself is durable and built to last. Made from deep-padded faux leather and perfect for a home office.
- Stylish, comfortable faux leather
- Relaxing lounger mode
- Great for home offices
- Entertainment design with two cup holders
- Armrests can be used as pillows
- Not for people over 6-feet tall
- Armrests move freely – no Velcro or magnets
Milemont Memory Foam Foldable Sofa Bed
This sleeper sofa bed can be folded down for a full bed or the arms can be folded up as pillows for a comfortable half-bed with a backrest.
Made from soft faux leather, it can accommodate two people, is super easy to assemble, and has a weight limit of 600 pounds.
Bonus? The cushions are stuffed with memory foam for extra support and comfort.
- Easy assembly
- Comfortable faux leather
- Adjustable to lounging and sleeping positions
- Accommodates two people
- Under $300
- Thin cushions
- Stiff cushions at first
Saemoza 4 in 1 Folding Sleeper Bed with Ottoman
Perfect for home offices! This sleeper bed comes with a cozy ottoman, all of which folds out to as a single sleeper sofa bed.
It goes with most home décor in your choice of nine colors, like navy blue, dark grey, or light blue.
The backrest can be adjusted with or separately from the ottoman, so you can lounge, rest, sit, and relax in four different ways.
You can also fold the backrest down to create a larger, full ottoman to tuck away into a corner or use with a larger sofa.
- Includes comfortable ottoman
- Breathable linen material
- Adjustable backrest for sitting to lounging to sleeping
- Accommodates up to 440 pounds
- Great for small spaces
- Easy to stain and hard to clean
- Not the greatest lumbar support
Sofa beds can be essential furniture for your home, regardless of the space in your home. Your first step is making a list of what you need and expect, then peruse our suggestions for anything that might suit your needs.
Did you not find exactly what you needed from our list of sofa beds? No worries. The aforementioned pull-out couch beds are suggestions to help you decide what you want and need from a new piece of comfy furniture in your home. We strive to equip you with information to make these kinds of buying decisions easier in the long run.
Best of luck and goodbye for now!