Nothing quite says home like coming up to the house after a long day, grabbing a lemonade and sitting down in the comfiest chair. It’s something everyone can relate to. We all have that one spot in our house that we yearn for throughout a hard day’s work.
But what if the sun is shining, maybe its summertime, thus it weren’t inside? Outside the home is usually far more peaceful. Immersing yourself into the hands of nature is incredibly relaxing and healing. That’s where porch swings come in handy.
Oh and just a quick side note, did you know that in the 1980’s that was a study that discovered that hospitalized patients who had a window that looked out to greenery and nature healed and recovered quicker than those that didn’t have a window or looked out at a brick wall or some other man-made constructions made of metal and concrete. Now what that has to do with porch swings we leave entirely up to your imagination nevertheless that’s one fascinating benefit that shouldn’t be disregarded.
Porch swings are a classic piece of furniture that’s been around for decades if not centuries. It’s calming and invites people to take off the load of everyday life. They’ve been seen in books, movies, and television shows, used for some of the most dramatic or romantic scenes.
They’re basically iconic at this point. So follow along as we go through the perks, what to consider before buying, the benefits and our top picks.
What to Consider Before Buying
As you might have guessed porch swings offer some nice benefits, but there’s a few things to consider before buying. Sizing and placement will go hand in hand, while styling and price will be trickier to manage. While they are a lovely addition to any home, they can be quite costly.
- Size: Porch swings, as a rule, are large. They can usually hold two to four people. This will affect your choice depending on the size of your porch or family.
- Style: These swings come in many different styles, wicker, wooden, metal. It’s good to compliment your home and porch with the right style of swing that complements the surroundings.
- Accessories: If the porch is to be hanged from the ceiling, you may need some hanging hooks and quality swing springs.
- Placement: Some porches simply aren’t big enough for a swing. This is the time to consider a self-sustaining swing to put in the backyard or near the garden.
- Price: Porch swings are by no means cheap. They’re large and use a lot of materials plus companies often take an considerable fee for setting it up and for the shipping. This, in turn, means a hefty price. In some cases, it may be cheaper to build your own than buying it.
Informing yourself is the best thing you can to do before buying. Knowing which brand to buy can be tough, if you live in the U. S. we recommend that you have look at VintagePorchSwings, an authentic company that make awesome vintage styled porch swings.
With that said and with no further a due, here is our list of our favorite porch swings to date.
Fleur-de-Lis Porch Swing
- Suited for 2 people
- Holds up to 485 pounds
- Costs about $90
- Made from metal
- Perfect for withstanding the changing weathers of the outdoors
The Fleur-de-Lis porch swing is a timeless piece that has the vibe of sunny New Orleans. Decorated with a French style, it stands out amongst the ordinary and the plain. It boasts a touch of refined beauty lost in the modern world.
It’s durable, made from metal and built to withstand the outdoors. It can also hold up to 485 pounds. And it comes in two different colors, black or bronze.
The bench is smaller than most, but can still easily hold up two people. The cost is easy too. It comes in around $90 while most will cost into the hundreds.
There are two downsides, however. It costs an extra $130 to get experts to set it up. For those who wish to do it themselves, there have been complaints that the chains are tough to work with. So it will be a bit of a struggle to set up, but overall it’s worth it.
Best Choice Products Porch Swing
- Has its own stand and canopy
- Well suited for 3 people
- Holds up to 485 pounds
- Price is at about $100
- Good for rainy days and for shade
The Best Choice Products porch swing is perfect for those who haven’t got a porch, or at least not one big enough. It comes with its own stand and canopy to keep you cool.
The whole thing is weather and UV resistant. Made from steel, the swing is very durable and stands up to the wind well. It does move fairly well though and the canopy can be changed from open sunlight to cooling shade.
This swing can hold up to 485 pounds and can seat about three people. Any summer day messes are easy to clean off of the mesh seating.
Overall, it’s a good swing that is wonderful for those who haven’t got a porch. The price is on the lower side coming in at $100. However, like before, there is an additional fee of $130 to set it up with expert help. Most people say they didn’t have an issue with setup.
Coral Coast Porch Swing
The Coral Coast porch swing is chic, outdoorsy, and blends in with the modern home styles of today. It’s in the classic porch swing shape but decorated in bold black.
The seat is weather resistant and made from eco-friendly acacia wood. The paint is sealed in with a strong finish guaranteed to last. The seat is also durable, able to withstand up to 600 pounds.
It is rather small. This is good for those with small porches or who have small families. It’s easy to imagine a parent and child cuddling up for a good book on a sunny day.
The swing’s price is fair at $130. You can pay double for the setup or put it together yourself. The biggest downside is that it doesn’t come with the cushion or pillows shown in the picture. Those are things you’d have to purchase yourself.
Outsunny Porch Swing
- Lovely design and high quality material
- 2 people fit good
- Holds up to 550 pounds
- A bit more expensive than the other options on this list
The Outsunny porch swing screams of a cottage getaway or a trip down to the pond. Its wicker material brings out a beachy vibe that instills people to get out on the water or enjoy hearing the waves lap on the shore.
It is weather resistant like all good porch swings should be, but is also heat resistant which makes it usable in almost any weather.
The best part is the seating. Outsunny’s porch swing comes with a plush cushion to sit on with a removable cover for washing and extended use. The seats can sit about two people and can hold up to 550 pounds.
The only downside we could find was the price, as this porch swing is a bit more expensive than the rest. But it is well worth it for everything that it comes with.
Southern Cypress Furniture Porch Swing
- Includes cup-holders on both sides
- Its bigger as it can hold up to 3 people.
- A bit expensive but worth it considering the quality of the build and the extra features
The Southern Cyprus Furniture porch swing is another classic swing, with some minor upgrades.
It includes cup-holders built into the armrests and remains weather resistant for some time. It will eventually fade to a beautiful gray, but it can be stained to resist even this. Being made with steel screws, the construction also remains dependable.
Assembly is said to take 10-15 minutes. And while there is no official weight scale, it can easily hold three adults.
The two big catches are price and shipping. This one is quite expensive for a porch swing and may not be ideal for you whose on a budget. The shipping wait can also be quite a long time which tends to be annoying, but not so much of a hassle.
Benefits of Having a Porch Swing
While it may not be clear at first what benefits porch swings may provide, other than a good rest and a place to sit, they surprisingly can help a lot with our mental and physical health.
- Stress Relief: Stress is so common nowadays. The rocking motion of a porch swing easily dissolves this and invites you to relax.
- Circulation: Swinging can also improve circulation and may tone down the effects of varicose veins.
- Concentration: The motion stimulates your cerebral cortex as well, which may improve your concentration. That’s why they’re recommended not only for adults but kids as well.
- Fresh Air: The best benefit may be that they beckon us to go outside. We all need a good dose of fresh air sometimes.
Porch swings are beautiful, elegant, and can become an excellent focal point to your home. They come in many styles, modern and classic. And some even come with extras.
But most importantly they come with their own set of benefits, including physical and psychological. Surprisingly they can also help with circulation and concentration, and we’re absolutely sure that they can relieve stress.
Porch swings can be costly, but at the end of the day, if you use them frequently to wind down and relax, they’re worth it.