When you hear the word “hygge”, you most likely think of sitting cozy by the fire during a dark winter’s night. You’re not wrong, but how about bringing that sense of wellbeing, comfort, and homeliness to spring and summer as well?
Scents, memories, candles, and hygge
Candles form a central part of hygge to give a sense of calm and relaxation. They can be incorporated as part of your daily mindfulness practice as well, for example journaling with a candle by your side. This sense of calm can be strengthened by using scented candles.
Indeed, smell and memory are linked – we’ve all had the experience of being transported back in time by a certain smell – so why not help your future memory by using different scents?
The scent of a candle can also help in creating the atmosphere you want and, so let’s have a look at some scents that can turn your home into your sanctuary this summer.
Candle scents for a hygge summer
- Citrus and lemongrass
- Blossoms and flowers
- Rose and rose geranium
- Herbs, including rosemary and basil
- Spices that you associate with the kitchen, like ginger
- Linen, clean cotton
- Grass, cut grass, and meadows
- Water and ocean scents
Other (candle-lit) elements you can include for a hygge-inspired summer
- Create a cozy nook in your home where you can light some scented candles. Here you can read, write in your journal or meditate surrounded by summery scents.
- If you don’t have a garden where you can have a meal, create a special meal indoors. You could even have an evening picnic in your living area – complete with an array of scented candles, of course.
- Bring a special touch to household chores by lighting a scented candle while you do the dishes or clean a room.
- Use candles to light the bathroom when you take a bath before bed instead of using electric lights that are too bright and may keep you from falling asleep easily.
Bringing a touch of hygge to your everyday life is easy when you use scented candles to set a specific mood. It may take a few tries to get the perfect scent for your home or a specific room, but it’s definitely worth it. Soon certain scents – like the one(s) you use in your cozy nook – will immediately help you to relax and revive your senses.
Carin Marais is a fully bilingual language practitioner (English/Afrikaans) and a copy and content writer for a wide variety of digital and print channels. She has worked with both local and international companies on subjects as diverse as health and mindfulness, finance, beauty, décor, pets, food, and agricultural implements.